Police Officer - The Norwood Police Department is currently accepting any applications for employment. The Norwood Civil Service Commission is accepting applications for the position of POLICE OFFICER. The selection process will involve a series of tests, beginning with a written examination to be held on Wednesday June 21, 2017 at 6:00 PM in the NORWOOD HIGH SCHOOL CAFETERIA – 2020 SHERMAN AVE. NORWOOD, OHIO 45212 .
Minimum Employment Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- 21 years of age, no older than 35 - Unless currently certified
- Valid Driver's License
- Acceptable driving record
- Clean criminal history
Basic Job Duties and Tasks for Police Officers
- Provide for public safety by maintaining order, responding to emergencies, protecting people and property, enforcing motor vehicle and criminal laws, and promoting good community relations.
- Identify, pursue, and arrest suspects and perpetrators of criminal acts.
- Record facts to prepare reports that document incidents and activities.
- Review facts of incidents to determine if criminal act or statute violations were involved.
- Render aid to accident victims and other persons requiring first aid for physical injuries.
- Testify in court to present evidence or act as witness in traffic and criminal cases.
- Evaluate complaint and emergency-request information to determine response requirements.
- Patrol specific area on foot, or patrol vehicle, responding promptly to calls for assistance.
- Monitor, note, report, and investigate suspicious persons and situations, safety hazards, and unusual or illegal activity in patrol area.
Key Skills for Police Officers
- Able to handle responsibility
- Able to remain calm in challenging or dangerous situations
- Good interpersonal skills
- Communication skills
- Team working skills
- Problem solving skills
- Negotiating skills
- Medical Health Insurance
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Life Insurance
- 12 Paid Holidays per year
- 10 Paid Vacation Days (after 1 year)
- Paid Sick Leave & Health/Welfare Plan
- Retirement Plan (OPFPF)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Training
- Initial Uniforms Provided
- Annual Uniform Allowance (after 1 year)
- Annual Training Bonus
- Annual Longevity Bonus (after 5 years)
- Shift Differential for 2nd and 3rd Shifts
- Employer contribution of 19.5% to Pension Plan
- Annual Pay of $54,158.32 upon Appointment
- Annual Pay of $57,543.81 upon Certification
Norwood Police Department Hiring Process
- Written Civil Service Test
- Norwood Police Physical Agility Test
- Computer Voice Stress Analyzer (CVSA)
- Background Investigation
- Interview Panel
- Mayor and Safety Director Interview
- Chief's Interview
- Psychological/Personality Evaluation
- Medical Examination
Contact Norwood Police Recruiting
Contact: Lt. Mark Rankin
Find us on Facebook
For more information on becoming a Police Officer, go to discoverpolicing.org
The Norwood Police Department is an equal opportunity employer and, as such, shall ensure that all applicants are provided an equal opportunity for employment through an employment process which recruits and selects the most qualified persons without regard to sex, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as the basis for employment.